A Refugee Health Assessment can be provided within 12 months of arrival.
As with all health assessments, consent is required before a health assessment is performed. The item numbers are the same as for all health assessments (703-707).
The health assessment should include:
- A detailed history
- Problem list and
- Management plan.
A copy of the health assessment should be provided to the patient. More information:
Offshore health assessment and the HAPlite system
Includes information about:
- Immigration medical examination
- Departure health checks
- Health undertakings
- Health Alerts
- Tip sheets for HAPlite
- Complex medical issues – specialised case management
Fact Sheets – Helpful Information for GPs
- Helpful information for GPs in Brisbane, Logan and Gold Coast
- Helpful information for GPs in Townsville
- Helpful information for GPs in Cairns
Refugee Health Assessment Template
- Assist the documentation of a refugee health assessment
- Contain prompts to cover the information that needs to be collected
- Contain tips on how to conduct a Refugee Health Assessment.
Resources to support Health Assessments
- Managing the Refugee Patient– includes information about how to perform a Refugee Health Assessment (Dr. Kay, 2015)
- ASID (Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases) Refugee Health Guidelines (2016)
- Transfer of patient records for newly arrived humanitarian entrants (July 2019)
- Hearing Services Program – Australian Government Department of Health
- Resources about Cultural Sensitivity
- Further support is available from Refugee Health Connect (Brisbane South and North).
Translated Resources for Patients
About the Refugee Health Assessment (2022)
HEALTH ASSESSMENT ON ARRIVAL – Information for Ukrainian arrivals (786 visas)
Metro South Health have developed videos in multiple languages about informed consent so that patients clearly understand the health problem and agree to what the health worker is going to do. View the videos here.
Glossary of terms – Seeing a Doctor, Specialist or health professional (Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health)
Translated pictorial fact sheets about ‘Collecting poop‘
Videos – Refugee Health Assessment
Health Practitioners discussing how to conduct a Refugee Health Assessment were recorded at a Refugee Health Education in 2017. Some are available below and more videos of this event are available here.