Guidelines and Resources
- Australian Refugee Health Practice Guide – Experiences of torture and trauma booklet
- Australian Guidelines for the Treatment of Acute Stress Disorder and Post traumatic Stress Disorder Specific Populations and Trauma Types: Refugees, asylum seekers and PTSD – Phoenix Australia (formerly Australian Centre for Post traumatic Mental Health)
- Embrace: Multicultural Mental Health and Good Practice Guide – Working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds in mental health.
Interactive referral pathways for primary health care professionals to use with patients from refugee backgrounds (Updated March, 2020)
- Brisbane South and Logan Mental Health Referral Pathway March 2020
- Brisbane North Mental Health Referral Pathway (2020)
- Gold Coast Mental Health Referral Pathway (2020)
- Darling Downs and West Moreton Mental Health Referral Pathway (2020)
- Queensland Program of Assistance to Survivors of Torture and Trauma (QPASTT)
- Queensland Transcultural Mental Health Centre
- Multicultural Mental Health Coordinators
- Headspace – A free or low-cost youth mental health service for 12–25 year olds
Culture in Mind – a community-based service that supports the social, emotional and mental well-being of migrants, refugees, and people seeking asylum in the greater Brisbane area.
Harmony Place – a community-based multicultural organisation that provides culturally responsive services to strengthen the mental health and well-being of people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
Multicultural Psychological Therapies Services (formerly known as ATAPS) – Intake through World Wellness Group
NOTE: Contact Brisbane South PHN regarding the availability of free interpreting services for Allied Health Professionals. More information here.
Harmony Place at Access Community Services Ltd are funded to provide National Psychosocial Support (NPS) and Continuation of Support (CoS).
Low Intensity Psychological Therapies – Problem management Plus – Culture in Mind – A CALD specific mental health support program.
Brisbane North PHN – Brisbane MIND for people with moderate mental illness
NOTE: Contact Brisbane North PHN regarding the availability of free interpreting services for Allied Health Professionals. More information here.
Darling Downs & West Moreton
South East Queensland
Mental Health Referral Pathway for patients from refugee backgrounds March 2020 – This online interactive Referral Tool is designed for Health Professionals to find mental health referral options for children and adults of a refugee background in SE Qld (Updated March 2020) . This list is not exhaustive and is to be used only as a Guide.
Resources for Health Professionals
- Perceptions of mental health and perceived barriers to mental health help-seeking amongst refugees: A systematic review (Feb, 2020)
- Interviews with Refugee Health Advisory Group members from refugee backgrounds – Comments for the Mater Refugee Heatlh Advisroy Group (‘G11’)
- Refugee Transitions
- Supporting culturally and linguistically diverse people – Australian Dept Health – Health to Health
- Watch Specialist Clinicians present about Refugee Mental Health (22 mins)
- Tips for Mental Health Services (working with people from CALD backgrounds) (QLD, 2015)
- Refugees and asylum seekers: Supporting recovery from trauma (Trauma and Grief Network)
- Queensland Transcultural Mental Health Centre – New additions posted to website monthly.
- Cultural diversity and assessment: a resource for mental health practitioners (July 2018) – Victorian Transcultural Mental Health. More info here.
- Cross-cultural Mental Health Care: A Resource Kit for GPs and Mental Health Professionals (NSW)
- Refugees advice to physicians about how to ask about mental health
- Emerging Minds – The National Workforce Centre for Child Mental Health offers innovative online, free courses available 24-7, specifically designed to support practice.
- Mental Health Literacy of resettled Iraqi refugees in New South Wales: Paving the way for mental health education and promotion in vulnerable communities – University of Western Sydney and Refugee NSW Refugee Health
- 5 podcasts about mental health that you have to hear
Resources for Community Members
The Queensland Program of Assistance to Survivors of Torture and Trauma have developed a brochure for community leaders about mental health. Download the English brochure Information for Community Leaders about Mental Health and to download versions written in Tigrinya, Kirundi and Somali see the QPASTT website.
Translated mental health resources
Beyondblue bring together a series of reputable translated resources covering a range of topics including pregnancy and new parents, information for families, general mental health information, and information for health professionals. Visit the page HERE
Queensland Health have translated fact sheets about the Mental Health Act.