Local Area Coordinators (LAC)
The role of the Local Area Coordinator (LAC) is to assist people to navigate the NDIS.
Community Liaison Officers (Multicultural)
Provide dedicated support to prospective participants to people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds to understand NDIS eligibility, the pre-access process and other support available (Brisbane, Logan, Moreton Bay, Redland and Ipswich). More information here.
Disability Advocacy Services
AMPARO Advocacy speaks, acts and writes on behalf of vulnerable people from a non-English speaking background with disability to defend, protect and promote their rights and interests so their fundamental needs are met. Amparo also offer translated fact sheets for patients
- ‘We need to raise our voices’: Advice from people of refugee backgrounds living with disabilities and their carers – Foundation House (Aug, 2019)
- BARRIERS AND EXCLUSIONS: The support needs of newly arrived refugees with a disability – Feb 2019
NDIS Guides for organisations
Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) NDIS ready toolkit – These resources have been developed by MDA in partnership with DiverseWerks to assist organisations build capacity to provide culturally appropriate support options for culturally and linguistically diverse communities under the NDIS.
NDIS Guides for Physicians and Paediatricians
- GENERAL PRACTICE TOOLKIT: Understanding your role in the NDIS – Developed by Queenslanders with Disability Network (QDN) on behalf of Brisbane North PHN and North Brisbane Partners in Recovery.
- A GPs Guide to the NDIS – Developed by NDIS
- Allied Health Professionals Guide to the NDIS
Accessing interpreting or translation services for NDIS participants – Factsheet developed by AMPARO
Amparo Advocacy have developed factsheets about the National Disability Insurance Scheme, translated into 33 languages
Helpful words when accessing the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) The document explains helpful words and terminology when accessing the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). Available in 17 languages. Access here.
Centre for Culture, Ethnicity and Health – Disability Services Glossary in Arabic and Disability Services Glossary in Vietnamese
Navigating the NDIS in Primary Care – May, 2019 – Watch a professional Development session online via the links below.
Victoria Refugee Health Network – Service responses for people with disabilities from refugee backgrounds in northern Melbourne