CALD COVID Health Engagement Project
The project ensures all people living in Queensland regardless of their background and English language proficiency have equitable access to appropriate health information and services to maximise their health and wellbeing throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. More information here.
- Queensland’s COVID-19 Vaccine Plan To Unite Families – for domestice and international travel
- A one-stop shop for Queenslanders www.covid19.qld.gov.au
- COVID-19 information for Queensland clinicians – Qld Health
- For Government updates, refer to Queensland Health
- Federal Health Department
- Department of Social Services – Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and support
- Department of Home Affairs (For travel restrictions and visa related information)
- Australian Government portal (For the latest updates and advice from government agencies across Australia)
Translated Resources/Video/Plain English – For community
- Queensland Health – Information for multicultural communities – Translated resources coronavirus (COVID-19) and changing restricitons in Queensland
- Queensland Government – Domestic and Family Violence translated resources
- Queensland Health – Information for families of people in aged care and disability care receiving a COVID-19 vaccination – translated fact sheets
- COVID-19 Vaccine videos in language
- COVID-19 Vaccine information in your language – Australian Government Department of Health
- COVID-19 Vaccine information in Easy Read resources – Australian Government Department of Health
- Translated consent forms for the vaccine are available here.
- Department of Home Affairs
- SBS – COVID-19 Vaccine – Rollout Plan – Videos in languages
- My Aus COVID-19 App – A free resource for Australia’s culturally and linguistically diverse communities about COVID-19, its impact and available support (there is a Queensland page). The MyAus COVID-19 app supports access to information, including short animations in line with governement advice.
- Health Translations– lists resources by language and regularly updated.
- Humans Like Us– Videos and resources in languages
- SBS online portal provides information in languages
- CORONAVIRUS explained in your language– SBS
- Australian Red Cross
- CHC Pediatric Refugee Clinic (AZ) – videos in ten languages (English, Spanish, Arabic, Burmese, French, Karen, Kirundi, Maay Maay, Somali, Swahili) with basic COVID-19 information
- Culture Orientation Resource Exchange – videos in multiples languages
- NDIS and disaster response – Translated Resources
- Aged Care and Health Translations
- Developed by Catholic Care – Audio information in Kurdish Kurmanji language about COVID-19.
- Rohingya – Washing hands video (subtitles in English) – UNICEF
- Advice on managing distress – Red Cross information for communities after a distressing event, in 7 languages.
- Tzu Chi Australia – provide daily updates on the situation of Coronavirus in Australia in English and Chinese.
Please be mindful that some resources developed by other states have state-specific information.
Audio and video about Telehealth are available in some languages here.
Getting a COVID-19 test – English script (Developed by Metro South Health: Health Equity and Access Unit)
AUDIO/VIDEO IN LANGUAGE
KAREN – Watch the video here.
- Should I get tested for coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- How can I get tested?
- How much will the test cost?
- What should I bring?
- How is the test done?
- When will I know the result of my test?
- Need interpreter or other language support?
Please note the script refers to testing centres in Metro South area but for a full list of where to get COVID 19 testing across Queensland see Queensland Health.
For an Easy English version of what happens when you get tested see a pictorial version from NSW Health here.
Translated resources to manage mental well being and COVID-19
- Mental health support for COVID-19 – A dedicated page with links to mental health supports.
- Supporting and reassuring children around the world – By Mind Heart in some languages (This short book supports children under the age of 7, regarding COVID-19).
- Advice on managing distress – Australian Red Cross – for communities, parents and caregivers after a distressing event, available in seven languages. Download here.
- Relaxation videos for African communities in language:
Easy English Resources
- Easy English COVID 19 Resources – Access Easy English
- How to protect yourself against COVID-19 – World Health Organization (video)
- Food and healthy eating during COVID-19 – Metro South Health (English and pictorial)
How to use a Rapid Antigen Test – Links to instructions and videos in some languages
Videos subtitled in languages a
• Assyrian: https://youtu.be/cqMRvazPveE
• Dinka: https://youtu.be/z8gVcoXi680
• Hakha Chin: https://youtu.be/6IepNtGwsCs
• Hindi: https://youtu.be/NTFpaU1oxX0
• Hazaragi: https://youtu.be/UZu1lEYpgUk
• Khmer: https://youtu.be/_7WYVcstcPk
• Karen: https://youtu.be/zmUy-sgS_i8
• Nuer: https://youtu.be/2YGXpJpXgkE
• Samoan: https://youtu.be/FL6I4MUT7nU
• Swahili: https://youtu.be/34pVY8a1bZE
• Somali: https://youtu.be/JE25y3aw8gc
• Tamil: https://youtu.be/9N8u9xSD_iQ
• Tigrinya: https://youtu.be/o7qPrqCQ4DA
• Oromo: https://youtu.be/8TyUReI5EWk
• Tongan: https://youtu.be/7TMiR7lD7_8
• Zomi: https://youtu.be/UELmduvN7Rg
• Falam Chin: https://youtu.be/XPtvEd4VP14
• Acholi: https://youtu.be/WCvNUJtGIB4
• Arabic: https://youtu.be/x-KwMAilH5Y
• Dari: https://youtu.be/7e1wP8cyqcw
• Farsi: https://youtu.be/qfHRHPUHyLU
• Macedonian: https://youtu.be/ytKgShE1s1o
• Sinhalese: https://youtu.be/CP_GKwL8ZXY
• Turkish: https://youtu.be/4mPCNXxDAlk
• Vietnamese: https://youtu.be/uz1sNFXpQ1M
• Chinese Simplified: https://youtu.be/Y4kd83wTeNQ
• Chinese Traditional: https://youtu.be/8jtyENatIC0
• Korean: https://youtu.be/lVMSaQQ5OVk
• Nepali: https://youtu.be/7VBtLYi3fy0
• Punjabi: https://youtu.be/1lEeu1W1KWI
• Urdu: https://youtu.be/YZgKSP4Vjpg
• Filipino: https://youtu.be/HiLCDVjLitA
Services and Support
- 134COVID (13 42 68) for COVID-19 enquiries including restrictions
13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) for health-related information. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
- Multicultural Connect Line – Queensland-wide service for people from multicultural backgrounds whose lives have been affected by COVID-19. Ph. 1300 079 020
- If you are in quarantine and need help with delivery of essential food and medications, call the Queensland Community Recovery hotline on 1800 173 349
- ParentLine (1300 30 1300)
- Family and Child Connect service – call 13 FAMILY (13 32 64)
DVConnect Womensline on 1800 811 811 (24 hours, 7 days) or DVConnect Mensline
on 1800 600 636 (9am-midnight, 7 days). If they are in immediate danger or you fear
for their safety, call Triple Zero (000) and ask for Police. More information
- Neighbourhood Centre locations
- Health Direct Coronavirus hub
- Coronavirus response: Resources for families
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Qld Health – COVID-19 Vaccination – CALD content guide for audiences and stakeholders
- Qld Health – Plain English COVID-19 Vaccination Information and Presenter’s Script
- Watch Dr Rachel Claydon (Mater Refugee Health) present some of this information here.
Easy English and Translated Resources
- COVID-19 Vaccine – Department of Health – Information in your language
- What is the COVID vccine? – Easy English Translated versions
- COVID-19 Vaccine information – Easy Read resources – Australian Government Department of Health including: What is the COVID-19 vaccine? Is it safe? (other languages) and COVID-19 vaccination – After your vaccination (other languages)
- Advice to newly arrived people from Afghanistan who have received vaccinations overseas (English and Dari)
- DOHA – Factsheet on misinformation and truths about Coronavirus – 63 languages
- SBS – COVID-19 Vaccine videos– Rollout Plan
- FACT SHEET – ASTRAZENECA INFORMATION – Department of Health
- Translated consent forms for the vaccine are available here
- Queensland Health – Translated Information for families of people in aged care and disability care receiving a COVID-19 vaccination
- Add your proof of vaccination status – Videos in English
- Videos in other languages about adding your proof of vaccintion status using the Qld Check in App created using the Guide to sharing translated information with your community
- The Department of Health – COVID-19 vaccines – Is it true?
- AusVaxSafety – national vaccine safety system.
- Watch people talk about receiving their COVID-19 vaccine shot in Queensland
- Want to make a video diary about getting the COVID-19 vaccine to share with the Queensland community? Follow these Video Diary Guidelines and complete this Photo and video Permission Form
- Important notice regarding vaccinations for interpeters and demonstrating eligibility
- COVID-19 vaccines: culturally appropriate responses with CALD communities – May 5th, 2021 – Watch it here.
English-Karenni COVID 19 information session (April 24, 2021) – Watch video https://youtu.be/ZpNNVKdCSXY
- More information about requesting a COVID Vaccine infomation session in language – CALD COVID Health Engagement Project
Booking your vaccine appointment
Publications about COVID 19 Vaccines in Australia
Resources to manage mental well being and Covid-19
- Mental health support for COVID-19 – A dedicated page with links to mental health supports.
- Head to Health
- FACE COVID – How To Respond Effectively To The Corona Crisis – a video by Dr. Russ Harris – Acceptance Commitment Therapy
- How to work with anxiety during COVID 19 – video from the NICABM (National Institue for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine)
- Podcasts for children – ABC Coronacast
Past webinars for Multicultural Leaders
Omicron and living with COVID-19 – Hon Minister Leanne Linard and Deputy Chief Health Officer Dr Lynne Mckinlay.
Read the answers to Questions posed at this zoom, since provided by Queensland Health here.
11th November, 2021 – Opening the Borders – What does this mean?
- Full video discussion with questions answered by Dr Lynne McKinlay (Deputy Chief Health Officer, Qld Health) – Multicultural Community Leaders Zoom Forum
- Further answers to your questions is available here
- Full detail about the border plan for 70% , 80% and 90% vaccination is now available in 38 languages on the Queensland health Multicultural information page
- Other resources shared:
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination resources for community groups
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs – international travellers to Australia
- Information from Australian Government about COVID-19 vaccinations in relation to travel
- Guidance on foreign vaccination certificates
- Information about COVID-19 boosters
- Workers in a healthcare setting (COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements) Direction
- Requirements for workers in healthcare settings
31 July, 2021 – Lockdown in South East Qld
- Video presentation by Dr Jeannette Young (Qld Health CHO) to CALD Multicultural Leaders, including answering questions that communities have about the 3 day lockdown. View it here.
- Video presentation from Diana Young – Director, Strategy and Engagement, Community Recovery Community Services, Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy about Community Wellbeing and Support. View it here.
- Download the presentation – Diana Young with links to community support services HERE
- Download the Plain English version of 31st July, 2021 Lockdown SE Qld (Qld Health) here.
COVID 19 Update: 3 day lockdown and vaccines 30 June 2021 –
- Your questions answered by Queensland Health – community leaders forum Q&A for Queensland Health
- The public health direction about lockdowns and masks has now been translated into 38 languages.
- Presentation from Dept. of Communities: Community Wellbeing and Support Presentation June 2021
- Multicultural Connect Line: Support and information to find aid, assistance and mental health services in your language. A Queensland- wide service for people from multicultural backgrounds whose lives have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
- The CALD COVID Health Engagement Project can assist communities with information and resources about COVID19 and vaccinations, please contact the project officers for more information.
May 5th, 2021 – COVID-19 vaccines: culturally appropriate responses with CALD communities – Watch it here.
- Feb 3, 2021 – COVID 19 Vaccination – Recording of presentation by Dr Jeannette Young (CHO – Qld Health) to Multicultural Community Leaders, Brisbane – WATCH IT HERE. Download the TRANSCRIPT HERE
- January 11, 2021 – Recording of presentation by Dr Jeannette Young (CHO – Qld Health) to Multicultural Community Leaders, Brisbane – WATCH IT HERE.
- Transcript of Dr Jeannette Young addressing Multicultural Community Leaders – Jan 11th
- July 29, 2020 – Multicultural Communities Zoom Webinar notes
More information about restrictions available from the Queensland Government here.
Other Information – COVID-19
- Enhancing and supporting the COVID-19 vaccination program – focusing on Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities – Holly Seale—School of Population Health, University of New South Wales; Anita Heywood—School of Population Health, University of New South Wales; Lisa Woodland—NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service; Ben Harris-Roxas—Population and Community Health SESLHD and CPHCE UNSW; Abela Mahimbo—School of Public Health, UTS Sydney; and Ikram Abdi—School of Population Health, University of New South Wales.
- COVID-19 vaccines: culturally appropriate responses with CALD communities – May 5th, 2021 Watch it here.
- Fatwa Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine Fatwa– Australian National Imams Council – “Based on what was conveyed by the trusted Muslim doctors and medical experts, the vaccine for the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is permissible according to the Islamic law as there is no known religious harm attributed to being vaccinated nor does it contain any forbidden substances.”
- Resources for families (Australian Institute of Family Studies)
- Summary of NRAAG Consultation Outcomes Report – This report consolidates community feedback on the gaps, challenges and barriers in light of COVID-19 rapid responses.
- Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers – Resources including links to videos in multiple languages
- Frequently asked questions for parents – Qld Government
- eSafety Commissioner – online safety advice and resources, including podcasts in other languages
- COVID-19 Update for refugees and people seeking asylum – Refugee Council Australia
- Health Literacy Insights for Health Crises Kim Parson, Humana; Marin P. Allen, PhD, National Institutes of Health; Wilma Alvarado-Little, MA, MSW, Alvarado-Little Consulting; Rima Rudd, ScD, MSPH, Harvard School of Public Health July 17, 2017